Thursday, June 7, 2012

Some Catching Up


It’s clear to me that I’m a product of an internet generation.  We moved to Oberlin slightly less than a week ago, and won’t have internet access in our home until this coming Tuesday.  I’m amazed at the anxiety that comes out of not checking my e-mail for a whole day.  Surely there’s a part of the anxiety that comes from being in the midst of a job search in which most of the communication is via e-mail, but the part of it that exposes me as inept at communicating with people/getting from one place to another/finding out information/listening to music is kind of embarrassing.  In desperation, I contacted the pastor of Oberlin UCC to see if I could use the church’s internet instead of having to pay for coffee every time I wanted to check my e-mail at a café.  Pastor David is so kind that he’s even issuing me a key to the church so that I can use it as a place to do my Skype interviews without a dog barking and a baby crying in the background (or incessantly screaming her version of “yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay”—totally my fault for egging on a cute new vocal discovery). 

Speaking of dogs barking, our dog Nos is living with us once again.  We had to send him on vacation to Gramma and Grampa’s house for a few months back in October because this Mama could only handle so much.  It is awesome having him back.   He’s so good to Evelyn and she is just totally enamored with him.  Until you see a nine-month old “throw” a tennis ball for her dog, you’ve not seen cute (this is kind of where the incessant “yay” started). 



Having a house is just amazing.  Evelyn has her own bedroom, there’s a window in our kitchen, and we have a washer and dryer in our house.  With both of us temporarily out of work, we are having the best time just being a family.  We take walks every morning and sit out on the porch and talk or read.  We take family naps sometimes.  Life is so good, and I think when the time comes, I’ll be ready to go back to work. 



The search and call process is encouraging.  I think the UCC has a great set-up that allows for prayerful and intentional placements.  In the meantime, with the exception of this coming Sunday and the week I'm in Arizona, I'm preaching every Sunday for the next month and a half--making some money, doing what I love, getting to know other congregations.  

On Tuesday I'll be able to update more often.  I'll post some photos of the inside of our house and I'll get a list up of the churches I'll be preaching at this summer so that if you're interested and nearby, you can come worship with us.  


2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you Joanna. This post and your life right now is a reflection of how much God loves you and how God just wants what is best for your entire family. Nos is such a sweet boy. It has really hit me now that I am so going to miss you guys. You were always so so sweet to me and Georgia and I will never forget how much you and Maic helped me when I had to move us from the one bedroom to the two bedroom. May God Richly and Abundantly bless you on your spiritual journey. If I am ever in your area, I will look you up.

    God is indeed abundantly good to us all the time. I started work at Plymouth United UCC in Spring, TX on Tuesday of this week and this is by far the sweetest most awesome community of people I have ever had the privilege of working in. They "rolled out the red carpet" for me literally earlier this week and I even have a large office. I feel and know that I am incredibly blessed beyond measure. I miss Georgia and Frankie but we will be reunited at the end of the month.

    Hugs, Kisses and Love always for you, Maic, Evelyn and Nos,

    Your sister in Christ,
    Michelle Freeman

    ReplyDelete

We don't all have to agree! But we do all have to be respectful! Please, no disrespect here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...